Sunday, April 25, 2010

the midnight blogger

      Using meditation one can change the way one feels. Yesterday there was a bit of anxiety emerging from the unfolding of the day. Sat down and by focusing on the physiological sensations and watching the breath gradually transformed the anxiety into a state of delight and contentment. When I write about it does not seem like that big a deal but when I experience it the rewards are wonderful. Knowing the technique of changing ones mental state and practicing it. It is a learned behavior . For me that is amazing. With more practice I believe I can change more situations into states of contentment and as I progress through the process of learning Shamatha I will be able to transform these states faster and more deeply.
         I learned Thursday of what is called the Jahnas which translated means meditative adsorption . It is being able to become so involved in the meditation that all of what is around becomes peripheral to the meditation and the one pointedness is so profound and fulfilling that all else is dross. That skill looms close and I understand what in my mind needs to be observed to achieve that now it remains a matter of practice. Just like playing music or any other skill.
        I have had the good fortune and blessing to be around people who have helped me learn these skills,
        THis week another teacher will be spending several days with me and I anticipate much meditation and learning with a very profound teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment