Tuesday, November 3, 2009


"What is the purpose of this life? A soul takes a human birth in order to have a series of experiences through which it will awaken out of its illusion of separateness.

This physical experience acts as a curriculum for awakening and its purpose is to awaken us from the illusion. Spiritual practices are tools to help us do that. "

--Ram Dass

What strikes me about this experience is the amount of suffering and sorrow that I am encountering. Yesterday , I contacted an old friend of 50 years who told me of not wishing to share this journey with her mother who has cancer. A different generation who manage their lives in a different way. I honor her choice.

Another story is another friend who is a cancer survivor and has gotten himself in so much debt that seemingly the only viable solution for his predicament is bankruptcy. It is testimony to the spirit of the man that he continues to uplift those around him with song and joy. I am proud to know him.

For myself I proceed to use this experience as learning. I have been sort of monk-like in the last few years meditating for long hours and doing little socially. That has become an unbalanced approach to this endeavor . Love from friends and family is critical for healing those who I talk to about their sorrows and struggles and for me and mine.

My own struggle falls into perspective no less important than before but larger. We heal ourselves collectively. We work on ourselves individually.

Let me not get to romantic about this and just report on some details. I have spent the time I have organizing this effort as a CEO of Keep Fred Healthy and Alive. Learning about Prostate Cancer from friends and written material . A retired MD friend to consult with is a real blessing. Moderating a debate among the healers I know who have differing opinions about foods, herbs, and vitamins. Exercising a body that needs to be ready for whatever insults will be delivered by the medical profession with the chosen course of action. The exercise is with weight training, aerobics, and hatha yoga. Joining a support group of men who are dealing with the same health issues that I am, it is called US - too. Preserving my emotional health with therapy , the drama is intense and it is like having a trainer to deal with emotions. Setting up an office built around the information technology that I have available, such as this blog, the writing of which is a therapy. Calling on the good will and resources of friends who have skills in other critical fields such as insurance , this one is a real maze and having an ex-claims adjuster to explain in English is a god-send. The doctors themselves efficient , knowledgeable , compassionate. The two of the three that I have chosen and consulted with so far. Haven't consulted with the third although I met him at a conference.

On the weekend another friend gifted in the arts of technology set up this blog for me and helped me install Skype on my computers and get it working. Skype is the internet way to have a video talk with someone. As the Holiday season approaches I want to be with family and friends but traveling if I am immune-compromised is dangerous . With Skype I can see and hear the events I wish I could join but be safe at home not having to maneuver through airplanes, airports, buses, and being in enclosed spaces with potentially ill people.

This weekend I am hosting a party for lucid dreamers. I want to share the experience of the previous post with them and learn how to use the sleeping hours to affect healing, compassion, loving kindness, joy, and equanimity.

No comments:

Post a Comment