Friday, January 14, 2011

shinzen Young retreat in LA 5

Friday, January 7, 2011



           SHinzen live in a fascinating world and spending time with him is transformative in so many ways After the morning meditations in which I did a body awareness scan and got to the place where I was scanning and perhaps sleeping but I wonder if that is entirely true since I never felt that I lost my consciousness I was watching the mind explore the body albeit in a very dreamy way. I would call it hypnogogic awareness if anything. Anyway after an hour and a half of that I went to the lecture in which SHinzen talked of the aesthetic aspects of numbers and how the use of imaginary numbers, for instance the square root of a negative number, gave depth breadth and length in a dance like way to the limited feel of the number line.

           Then we went into the meditation on flow. Well in hypnogogic sleep, the time that is before deep sleep and is not awakened consciousness thoughts flow in very fluid manner, nothing has any holding spot and the mind makes free associations without hindrances of formal inductive or deductive reasoning. 

                The whole experience was dance reminding me of the meditations that I used to do with Swami Muktananda in the 70’s. After an hour of this type of meditation we had a break and I wandered over to my room and decided to experiment with the old siddhi of vanishing, looked into the bathroom mirror concentrated in the relaxed flowing way that I had been doing all morning and my image disappeared in the mirror.

           Went back for more after the break but Shinzen introduced another concept he wanted to have in our meditations and it was possible but way to difficult for me to incorporate everything else at the same time.

           Lunch did some computer work and then had some of the last of the food that I had brought. Planned pretty well should run out of food at the same time that the retreat ends I will be eating a lot of rice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment